Thursday, October 22, 2009

Civil Service jobs


Pictured above is the front cover of a tutorial manual that was available in the 1950's to people who were preparing for their Federal Service Entrance Exams (FSEE). Most of the people I knew who studied it had at least two years of college, they passed the exams with top scores and were qualified for relatively high paying civil service career positions. Two of the civil service positions I was offered were FDIC bank examiner, and a supervisory position at a U.S. military base. I declined to take those jobs and instead accepted a position with a manufacturing company that lead to a management position from which I retired with excellent company-paid medical and dental insurance and pension. Interestingly, my friends who retired from civil service management positions have similar pensions (in the form of annuities) but they pay for a large portion of their medical and dental insurance premiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment